I love this soup, I make it all of the time, so i thought I’d share it with you …
Ingredients to make enough to serve 4 hungry people:
- 1 x smoked gammon joint
- 1 x onion
- 3 x carrots
- 1 x celery stick
- 10 x peppercorns
- 2 x bay leaves
- (You can chuck in any other roots veggies you have too.)
- Frozen peas (millions of)
Now put the apron on and start by …
- Put the ham into a very large saucepan, chuck in all of the other ingredients except the peas.
- Cover with lots of water and bring to the boil.
- Skim off any foam off the surface of the stock.
- Cook for 2-3 hours depending on the size of the ham (the longer the better).
- Once cooked, remove the ham and set aside.
- Strain the cooking stock.
- You can add back in the carrots, onions etc. if you want to, but make sure you get rid of the bay and peppercorns.
- Bring the stock and veg back to the boil and add in a large amount of frozen peas. Boil and then simmer for 4 minutes.
- Blitz with a food processor or liquidiser until smooth. Check the seasoning.
- Tear some of the ham into strips and add to the soup. Serve with huge chunks of fresh warm buttered bread.
Tuck in and enjoy!