A Monday night dinner party? What was I thinking?! … part two
The casserole was cooked, now all I had to do was sort out the pud. Crema Catalana – unctuous, rich and so so good – Viva Espana!
Ingredients to make enough to serve 6 people who’ve just eaten Smoky Pork, Chorizo and Butter Beans:
- 6 medium free range egg yolks (freeze the whites and use later for meringues)
- 150g granulated sugar
- 500 ml whole milk
- 250 ml double cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 shavings of lemon peel
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- A little extra milk to mix the cornflour
- 50g granulated sugar for the burnt sugar topping
Now put the apron on and start by …
- Beating the egg yolks until pale and creamy.
- Add the 150g sugar, a third at a time and continue to beat until pale, light and creamy
- Very gently heat the milk, cream, cinnamon and lemon peel until boiling.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and lemon peel and whisk the milk and cream into the beaten eggs and sugar.
- Dissolve the cornflour with a little extra milk and stir into the mixture.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve and back into a saucepan.
- Cook over a low heat and cook, stirring constantly until it begins to boil. Simmer for a few minutes to cook out any taste of flour.
- Divide the mixture equally between 6 ramekins and chill well.
- Once chilled, top each Crema Catalan with a little sugar on top and caramelize it by placing under a hot grill briefly until the sugar melts and turns brown.
- Chill again and serve on it’s own – it’s delicious and really doesn’t need any accompaniment.
Tuck in and enjoy!